FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 01, 2018
Tracey L. Mancini
Marketing Communications Manager
SEVEN PHILLIPS LYTLE LLP PARTNERS NAMED TO
BUFFALO LAW JOURNAL “LEGAL ELITE OF WESTERN NEW YORK 2018”
– Managing Partner Kevin M. Hogan Recognized among Legal Elite Leaders-
Buffalo, N.Y. – Seven Phillips Lytle Partners were named to the Buffalo Law Journal “Legal Elite of Western New York 2018.”
Phillips Lytle Managing Partner Kevin M. Hogan was named a Legal Elite Leader. This recognition is given to the attorneys who run area bar associations, the University at Buffalo School of Law, and the region’s largest law firms.
Having previously served as the firm’s Trial Department Administrator and Environment Practice Team Leader, Mr. Hogan concentrates his practice in the areas of environmental law, intellectual property, and litigation. An effective and efficient legal advisor, he counsels clients on environmental compliance at both the state and federal levels with respect to investigations and enforcement proceedings by state and federal agencies, and on environmental issues arising in corporate and commercial transactions. An experienced litigator with a track record of successfully resolving disputes, Mr. Hogan defends clients in environmental cost recovery claims, toxic exposure lawsuits, and engineering and professional malpractice claims. He also represents clients in disputes involving patents, licenses, trademarks, and other intellectual property. Mr. Hogan is a skilled negotiator who also serves as a court-designated mediator in the Western District of New York.
Other Phillips Lytle partners included in the Legal Elite are:
- Kristen M. Birmingham – Birmingham’s practice involves a comprehensive range of transactional corporate matters with a particular emphasis on private and public company merger and acquisition transactions for both domestic and international clients across numerous industry sectors. Ms. Birmingham counsels business entities and their principals on matters relating to formation and organization, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, employment and consulting agreements, supply and distribution agreements, sales representative agreements, non-competition agreements, confidentiality agreements, general commercial contracts, terms and conditions of sale, general corporate governance matters, and Hart-Scott-Rodino filings.
- James D. Donathen – Donathen has practiced in the area of workplace law and litigation for over 30 years. He handles federal and state discrimination lawsuits and agency charges under Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, and the N.Y. Human Rights Law, and investigates and litigates employee disloyalty matters, including covenants not to compete, trade secrets, confidential information, and theft of product. In addition to defending civil and criminal Attorney General and other investigations, Mr. Donathen also represents employers in union elections, labor arbitrations, LMRA litigation, and NLRB and PERB proceedings. He defends OSHA workplace accident and other health and safety citations, and fends off wage and hour and employee misclassification claims and lawsuits under the FLSA. Mr. Donathen handles the defense of whistleblower claims under SOX, OSHA, and other federal and state laws. He provides preventative advice and practical business solutions in all of these areas.
- William P. Keefer – Keefer is leader of Phillips Lytle’s Health Law Practice Team. He counsels hospitals, physician groups, and other health care clients on a broad array of issues, including fraud and abuse, corporate compliance, transactional arrangements, payer audits, agency actions, and federal and state court litigation.
- Kenneth A. Manning – Manning has experience in bet-the-company corporate and commercial litigation, including dissolution proceedings, employment termination disputes and controversies involving the sale of goods and services. In addition to personal injury and wrongful death claims involving products liability, workplace accidents, negligence and environmental exposure experience, he has prosecuted and defended class actions in both state and federal courts. He also has experience in challenges to governmental actions, including taxes and assessments, as well as actions for declaratory relief. Additionally, Mr. Manning is Leader of Phillips Lytle’s Education Practice Team.
- David J. Murray – Murray’s practice primarily involves counseling business entities. He concentrates in acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, joint ventures, corporate finance, corporate governance, public and private securities offerings, private equity and venture capital investments, and other business transactions. He is also active in several aspects of the firm’s health law practice.
- John G. Schmidt Jr. – Schmidt concentrates his practice in the areas of business disputes, commercial litigation, employee disloyalty, federal practice, business torts, elder fraud, technology litigation, computer forensics, white collar/government investigations defense, FDCPA defense, and class action defense.