Mr. Coren concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, international litigation, and data security and privacy. He has litigated cases in federal and state courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as in arbitration. He is the Co-Chair of the International Law Committee of the Bar Association of Erie County.
Mr. Coren focuses on complex business litigation, shareholder disputes, derivative actions, breach of contract, business fraud, judgment enforcement, commercial real estate disputes, and construction litigation. Mr. Coren regularly represents secured lenders and parties in bankruptcy adversary proceedings.
Mr. Coren is also experienced in international litigation, including international arbitration proceedings, disputes involving foreign parties, cross-border discovery, customs litigation, and enforcing foreign judgments. He is admitted as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Ontario, Canada and at the U.S. Court of International Trade.
As a member of the Data Security & Privacy Practice Team, Mr. Coren counsels clients concerning federal and state cybersecurity regulations, and assists clients in response to data breaches, ransomware, cyberattacks and other data security incidents. He also represents clients in litigation related to data breaches and data security, and litigates disputes concerning cryptocurrency and other digital assets.
Prior to joining Phillips Lytle, Mr. Coren practiced in the litigation group at firms in New York City, where he represented clients in transnational litigation matters.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Ontario, Canada - Foreign Legal Consultant
- Named Upstate New York Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2020
- Named to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2009
- Duke University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2006
- American Bar Association
- International Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Bar Association of Erie County
- International Law Committee, Chair
- Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Committee
- Federal Practice Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Commercial & Federal Litigation Section
- International Section
- Represented a financial institution in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding concerning loans made by the financial institution to an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Represented an investor in the health care business against claims by common shareholders alleging breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented real estate companies in disputes with a mortgage lender and a mezzanine lender concerning alleged loan defaults.
- Represented a client in international arbitration proceedings (ICDR) related to shareholder disputes and breach of an employment agreement.
- Represented a Chinese importer in an administrative penalty case before the Court of International Trade.
- Coordinated with local Canadian counsel representing a U.S. manufacturer in a product liability case brought in Ontario, Canada.
Data Security and Privacy
- Counseled companies in response to data incidents, including threat identification, mitigation and recovery efforts.
- Assisted companies in data breach notification to customers, clients, state regulators, credit card companies and credit rating agencies.
- Represented an online retailer asserting claims against a former e-commerce vendor related to the vendor’s data breach.
- University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, Senior Editor