We work with clients to forge productive relationships with organized labor while protecting our clients’ rights. We have long represented both large and small employers in their dealings with unions and unionized workforces. Our experience includes union avoidance training and counseling, management of union organizing attempts and corporate campaigns, appearances before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and state labor relations board in representation and unfair labor practice cases, strike and picketing preparation plans, union negotiations, advice on administration of contracts and handling of grievances, labor arbitrations, unit clarification and decertification, and withdrawal of union recognition. We also provide advice to employers in acquisitions, mergers, and other change in control scenarios by reviewing collective bargaining agreements and addressing the implications of resulting facility restructuring or reductions in force.
Our labor relations experience has involved the Operating Engineers, Laborers Union, the Teamsters, the International Association of Machinists, the United Steel Workers, the Boilermakers, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, the Service Employees International Union, the Civil Service Employees Association, the Communications Workers of America, and Unite Here, to name a few.
Our attorneys conduct managerial training on union awareness and organizing for a variety of clients, including manufacturers, medical groups, colleges and universities, and food producers. These training sessions have included human resource representatives, supervisors, middle managers and directors.
Examples of our union awareness training:
- We regularly host labor and employment seminars throughout the year. Past topics have included updates on proposed federal legislation, NLRB rules regarding expedited election procedures, recent NLRB decisions regarding social media and email usage, and other potential concerted activities with implications for both unionized and non-unionized employers.
- Conducted business partner training for a major university regarding unionization and concerted activity.
- Conducted union awareness and manager training regarding potential union organization for a national motor club and leisure travel organization.
- Conducted union awareness training for managers at a local organization with a national presence.
Examples of our labor organizing experience:
- Trained supervisory personnel regarding union awareness and advised a leading manufacturer and distributor of products for building markets and its subsidiaries, regarding lawful communications to oppose union organizing drives.
- Trained supervisory personnel regarding union awareness and advised one of the largest U.S. producers of Italian-American cheese regarding lawful communications to oppose union organizing drives.
- Advised a major university with respect to a potential organizing campaign by an incumbent union of employees not currently members of a bargaining unit.
- Successfully assisted a business process outsourcing call center in defeating a union organizing campaign by Unite Here.
- Successfully assisted a medical provider in defeating two organizing campaigns by the Communications Workers of America (CWA) in a three-year period.
- Successfully assisted a local distributor of satellite television service in defeating an organizing campaign at a Pennsylvania facility.
- Assisted a national motor club and leisure travel organization in responding to union organizing activity among truck drivers.