New York State Creates New Growth Opportunities for Educational Institutions through the START-UP NY Program
START-UP NY, New York State’s highly touted and ambitious economic development program, seeks to spur economic development across the state by providing—to both new entities and existing companies looking to expand in New York State—tax-free status if those companies locate on private or public university campuses, or on certain lands off-campus. For educational institutions across the state, this program offers considerable benefits, as well as considerable challenges for eligibility and ongoing compliance.
Phillips Lytle’s team of attorneys has the statewide contacts and the expertise necessary to assist our educational, business and development clients with understanding and accessing the benefits of the START-UP NY program.
Phillips Lytle’s team can provide expertise in:
- Negotiating real estate arrangements with tenants
- Preparing and reviewing applications for designation of areas both on- and off-campus
- Obtaining, if needed, right-to-build approvals from local governments
- Counseling on ongoing compliance with detailed program requirements and other state laws and regulations, and interplay with current contractual obligations
- Identifying additional federal and state grant opportunities
- Advising start-up tenants on corporate formation, tax, intellectual property, immigration and other critical issues
- “How to Put START-UP NY to Work for You,” Phillips Lytle Seminar, January 2014
- “The Benefits of START-UP NY,” Donald T. Ross, Phillips Lytle Seminar, January 2014
- New York State Creates New Growth Opportunities for Businesses and Their Employees Through the START-UP NY Program
Below are links to additional information on eligibility, application forms and campus contacts on the START-UP NY website.