The ever-evolving U.S. telecommunications industry currently generates annual revenues of approximately $750 billion and could exceed $1 trillion by 2020. Phillips Lytle recognizes that this dynamic industry requires attorneys who have actual experience in every aspect of the market. The exponential growth in demand for data, and next generation technology that will meet that demand, present many opportunities and challenges that our experienced attorneys are well suited to help you meet.
Our attorneys have a profound understanding of the telecommunications industry. We represent leading companies, including national and regional telecommunications providers, telecommunications entrepreneurs, and large and small site owners and managers, as well as lenders and investors across the U.S. and abroad. Our clients include wireless and wireline carriers, fiber optic-based and wireless infrastructure providers, tower owners and operators, data center operators, internet service providers, real estate developers, property owners, investors and lenders.
By assembling a multidisciplinary team of attorneys, we are able to offer clients a myriad of services that can take ventures from inception through funding, network and service rollout, and growth (organic and by strategic acquisition), to profitability and successful exit. Our telecommunications law capabilities include:
- Environmental matters, including State Environmental Quality Review Act, National Environmental Policy Act and State Historic Preservation Office approvals.
- Litigation involving claims under the 1996 Telecommunications Act, including combating barriers to entry, state and federal pole attachment disputes, contract disputes, tariff defenses, foreclosure proceedings and personal injury defense.
- Local and national site leasing work for carriers, property owners and property managers, including development of alternative network infrastructure, e.g., Wi-Fi, Distributed Antenna Systems, wireless internet service providers, small cell technologies and fiber-based technologies.
- Negotiation, due diligence and closing of master lease agreements, single-site lease agreements, build-to-suit agreements and other telecommunications agreements involving real estate such as campuses, multi-tenant environments, REITs, military bases, federally owned property, casinos, arenas, stadiums, hotels and malls.
- Permitting, zoning and land use issues for telecommunications carriers and infrastructure owners, including deployment of small cells in the public rights of way, municipal franchises, other public rights of way agreements and pole attachment agreements.
- Transactional matters, including private equity, venture capital and debt financing, mergers and acquisitions, and asset purchases and sales.
Additional telecommunications law expertise:
- Custom network service agreements for enterprise customers
- Dark fiber and managed services agreements
- Interconnection and collocation agreements
- Master purchase/service agreements with Original Equipment Manufacturers
- Network construction, monitoring and maintenance agreements
- Securing operating authority from local, state, and federal authorities
- Spectrum leasing