Ms. Beckage’s practice is focused on the nexus of cybersecurity, data breach litigation, risk management, privacy, regulatory law and law enforcement. She is recognized as a leading attorney, representing clients in the most significant data breach responses, and was named among Cybersecurity Docket’s 2018 Incident Response 30.
Early in her career, Ms. Beckage was an entrepreneur and executive of a publicly traded technology company, which she helped lead through its successful sale and subsequently served as vice president of operations, overseeing an e-services line of products across 11 states. She brings a unique perspective to complex commercial litigation and data security matters. In addition, she leads the firm’s Data Security & Privacy Team, including attorneys and in-house IT professionals who provide 24/7 response and cutting-edge service leveraging their experience as entrepreneurs and advisors to intelligence, military and law enforcement leaders on cybersecurity.
Representative examples of Ms. Beckage’s experience:
- Preparing reasonable and defensible policies concerning record retention, litigation holds, data mapping, information security and privacy, and crisis planning;
- Developing cybersecurity preparedness, from tabletop exercises to board and management presentations, as well as counseling;
- Navigating regulatory compliance with various international, federal and state rules and regulations, including the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) Cybersecurity Regulation (23 NYCRR 500), GDPR and HIPAA;
- Counseling on emerging technologies, including artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain technologies; and
- Reviewing vendor contracts for data storage and transmission, including cloud arrangements and other technology transfer and development agreements.
- Responding to numerous data breaches, cyberattacks, ransomware and malware incidents, inadvertent disclosures, and other thefts of data and confidential information from disloyal employees, competitors or hackers;
- Guiding clients through all aspects of data incident response from containment, mitigation, root cause analysis, forensics, public relations and standing the company back up again after a data incident; and
- Interfacing with the government in data breach matters and other investigations.
- Handling all aspects of consumer notification, government reporting and public relations matters on an international level; and
- Representing clients in data breach litigation and other technology-related disputes and matters, including those concerning or addressing cyberattacks, websites, domain names, artificial intelligence (AI), big data, computer forensics and social media with experience working with complex e-discovery matters, including those involving technology-assisted review (TAR).
Ms. Beckage’s business background provides her with important insight in representing clients in business disputes and commercial litigation involving, among other things, intellectual property, employee disloyalty, violations of non-compete agreements and other employment matters, breaches of contract, and fraud matters.
She has assisted startups to prominent clients in the food, manufacturing, banking, technology, education and finance industries with data security and privacy, litigation, business disputes, risk mitigation efforts and regulatory matters.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Ontario, Canada - Foreign Legal Consultant
Honors & Awards
- Cybersecurity Docket’s 2018 Incident Response 30 Recipient – One of the Top 30 Incident Response Attorneys in the U.S.
- Named Upstate New York Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2013-2017
- 40 Under 40 Award, Business First of Buffalo, 2014
- Honoree of the New York State Bar Association 2011 Empire State Counsel® Program for Pro Bono Work
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., 1999
- Texas A&M University – College Station
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Science and Technology Law Section
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Admission to the Bar Committee, Former Chair
- Former Elected Board Director
- Buffalo Niagara Human Resource Association (BNHRA)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US)
- Minority Bar Association of Western New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Alumni Chapter
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, WNY Chapter
- Membership Committee, Former Chair
- Women Lawyers of Western New York
- Launch NY, Advisory Board
- Buffalo Institute for Genomics and Data Analytics, Advisory Board
- SUNY Buffalo Law School Advocacy Institute
- TROVE Predictive Data Science, Board of Directors
- Make-A-Wish Foundation, Wish Granter and Volunteer
- University at Buffalo Law Alumni Association GOLD Group, Member
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity Alumni Chapter, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Project, Volunteer
- InfoTech WNY, Former Board Director
- Upstate Tech Corridor, Representative
- Western New York Society of Information Professionals, Member
- University at Buffalo Law School, Jessup Moot Court, Alumni Coach