FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 30, 2018
Oliver F. Hays
Phillips Lytle LLP
PHILLIPS LYTLE LLP PARTNER JENNIFER A. BECKAGE EARNS PRESTIGIOUS CERTIFIED INFORMATION PRIVACY PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATION FROM THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVACY PROFESSIONALS
Buffalo, N.Y. – Phillips Lytle LLP Partner and Data Security & Privacy Team Leader Jennifer A. Beckage received Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) designation from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
The distinguished CIPP/US credential demonstrates a strong foundation in U.S. privacy laws and regulations, as well as understanding of the legal requirements for the responsible transfer of sensitive personal data to/from the U.S., the EU and other jurisdictions. All CIPPs have demonstrated knowledge of both broad global and specific regional or sectoral concepts of privacy and data protection law and practice.
CIPP/US subject matter areas include:
- The U.S. legal system: definitions, sources of law and the U.S. sectoral model for privacy enforcement;
- U.S. federal laws for protection of personal data: FCRA and FACTA, HIPAA, GLBA and COPPA;
- U.S. federal regulation of marketing practices: TSR, DNC, CAN-SPAM, TCPA and JFPA;
- U.S. state data breach notification: California SB-1386 and select state laws; and
- Regulation of privacy in the U.S. workplace: FCRA, EPP, ADA and ECPA, plus best practices for privacy and background screening, employee testing, workplace monitoring, employee investigation and termination of employment.
The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is the largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community and resource, helping practitioners develop and advance their careers and organizations manage and protect their data.
Ms. Beckage leverages her technology background in responding to data breaches and cyberattacks, and advises clients about data security and privacy issues.
Before beginning her legal career, Ms. Beckage was an owner of a technology company. She successfully helped lead the company through an acquisition to a publicly traded company, in which she was retained in a management role overseeing operations of an e-services line of products in 11 states.